Friday 25 November 2016

God Joins the Party. Reluctantly.

A different kind of post tonight, and on the surface, something of a diversion.

And that is to bring God into the discussion.

Hey God, come over here, sit down. No need to dress up it's only us.

Now God, I've heard a rumour that you, the highest of the heavenly host, the ground of being, the spirit in all things, are actually a patriarchal God. Can you confirm or deny this?

"I am."

You are what, a masculine God?

"I am all there ever has been, all there is, and all there ever shall be."

Yes, but, stay with me here. Do you wear well-ironed trousers like a good Englishman?

"I am the truth, and the life. I am both the light that shines in the darkness and the darkness itself."

So you're not a masculine God then?

"Oh my Self, of course I'm not a bloody masculine God. Jeez, I've had enough of this idolatry nonsense. If I wasn't so righteous I would disappear in a puff of righteousness."

Isn't that something of a paradox?

"Paradoxes are what I do. Deal with it."

Okey dokey, God. I'll settle for calling you a masculine symbol. Actually, it's a good trade-off for you - symbols are all the rage right now. People take them ever so seriously.

"Sigh. Whatever. I'll still be here should you come looking. Wait, stop, by 'here' I didn't mean you should start building a temple on this spot, right now. Put down that shovel....oh I'll get my coat."

                               ----------

Yes, I had a religious experience when I was 17. Yes, I knew a subversive God who didn't engage in the games we humans play out of pride, ignorance and greed. But to be clear, this is not a religious blog.

It is a blog born of the Enlightenment, taught by experience and merely nurtured with a dash of spiritual milk every now and again.

Tune in tomorrow for more of that old time feminist stridency.





No comments:

Post a Comment